Thursday, November 22, 2012

Gobble Wobble on Turkey Day

My town rocks!  Throw a run together and they will come! Large and small, young and old.  This is the second year for the Gobble Wobble.  I started it last year as a gathering for the students in my class and their families, a way to get together and share something I love to do!  We also use this run as a way to bring donations for the local food shelf  Word spread and community members wanted in!  Last year our numbers were at around 80.  This year we had over 100 runners - keep in mind this event is untimed and there is no swag except for the bags of turkey poop for the kids.  People come because they want to have fun and if they burn a few calories before their big meal then that is an extra bonus!!

Highlights of the Gobble Wobble
* Marking the race course at sunrise.  Just me and the geese hanging at the pond.

*  Large crowd = HUGE donations!  My van is filled to the brim and $170 in cash!!!  This makes me HAPPY!  Thank you!!!!

*  Watching from about 50 yards behind as my son took first!!  YAY, Kellen!

*  Running with a 5th grade girl who is an amazing runner - it was so cool to have the opportunity to encourage and coach her!  Ha- she was probably wondering who is this crazy lady????

*  My family and friends pitching in to make sure things ran smoothly while I shmoozed with the crowd.

*  Watching the crowd as I handed out totally corny awards!

*  The friendly Samaritan who brought jumper cables for my dumb van's dead battery!  And then off he went to finish his run!  Thanks!

First place winner got this cool hat!!

Kellen and I after the race

First Place Awards!



No comments:

Post a Comment