Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Inspired by the Young

Dear 5th Grade Students,

I am watching you take your MCAs right now.  Your pencils are moving, your brows are furrowed, you are thinking so hard.  I am so proud of you- I feel a little emotional.  You have worked very hard this year to continue to be the best that you can be.  You have experienced triumphs and celebrated together. You have had setbacks and helped each other recover.  And now here you are all together on this day proving what you know. I want you to know that whatever score you get on this test that I believe it is only a measure of how you performed on THIS day.  I know how much you have all grown academically - I see it every day.  I see it in your work and I hear it in your conversation.  You make me want to be a better teacher, a better runner, a better person.  I think learning is a lot like preparing for a race.  You have to discover your strengths and work with those. You have to uncover your weaknesses and train harder to overcome those.  You have to feed your brain like a runner feeds her body.  There are days when you just don't feel like giving your best, but you know what?  EVERY day you put forth your best effort because YOU CARE!!!!!!  When I run my 50 miles I will think of each and every one of you and how you worked so hard to achieve.  You inspire me!

2 comments:

  1. Very moving...I hope you shared that with them...I am sharing it with my collegues if you don't mind!

    I will be thinking of you as well when you run htose 50 miles...I can't freakin believe you are running 50 miles...I can't run 2 right now, ha ha!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did share it with them - as soon as they finished their tests. They are an amazing group of kids!!!!

      I appreciate your thoughts and thanks for thinking of me as I run those miles. I will be thinking of you too and your recovery. Heck- I think I will be thinking about EVERYTHING as I run those 50 miles!!

      Delete