Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Sharing the Trails

It's hunting season in MN which means I have to don the blaze orange (or yellow or pink) when I hit the trails.  Sharing the trails with hunters is not my favorite thing to do.  It's not that I have anything against hunting cute little helpless deer (ok, maybe I do a little bit) it's just that I don't think it would be very fun be a mistaken target.  On a recent day, I was running in a wooded area and saw three deer.  They were about 25 yards ahead of me - they didn't even move as I ran by.  So cool - and then I talked to my friend who was in the same location hunting and he said he didn't see one single deer!! Ha ha!  Maybe deer prefer silent runners in hot pink and Brooks over hunters in camo and boots?

Anyway, that got me thinking about sharing the trails. I have been very lucky that over the last few years I have found a group of runners who like the dirt path that I so enjoy.  Last Saturday I ran with Spider - he loves the trails and rarely runs on pavement.  He has a goal to run his first marathon in June 2014 so he knows he has blacktop beauty in front of him soon.  But for now, he prefers bounding effortlessly (which really makes me mad!!!) around on the trails.  On that Saturday, Bluedoug also joined us - he is pretty new to the trails and I wasn't sure after the run if he really liked it.  But today he texted that he wants to go back out there on Saturday!!!

I think one of the best parts of being a runner is sharing your passion with others, when you get to see someone else get excited!

2 comments:

  1. Eeeeee gads! You're BRAVE!!! I would wear everything orange and yell "I'm not a deer I'm not a deer"!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love sharing the run love with others! I agree with the above comment, girl you are BRAVE!

    ReplyDelete